This next series of pictures show a British Gp500 being cleared
Extraction of a British 1000lb GP bomb. Note the ring shaft which replaced the timber shaft that was used in the 1940's it's one big drawback was that the shaft had to be centrally cited over the bomb, as there is no way to be able to break out of the shaft if the bomb was not central.
The only one left in the UK (due to the MOD scrapping them in the 70's ) can be seen at the Royal Engineers museum, Prince Arthur Road Chatham. The ring shaft above was kindly donated by the Dutch EOD and consists of 3 concentric rings that are placed inside each other, down to the required depth, this replaced the old wooden shaft, that was very labour intensive to erect and fit.